I was intrigued when stumbling upon this recipe on pinterest. The description had something to do with, “You had me at no mayo, no cream soup….” I clicked on the recipe & thought, that is easy enough & sounds delicious, so I made it & I was not disappointed. I like my cream soups, & mayo, don’t get me wrong; I think half of my recipes use at least the cream soup, but this casserole is flavorful & oh so cheesy. So not quite sure if you are saving any calories, or fat for that matter. But it still has that creamy pleasing texture for your palate.
Cheesy Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (you can use a lot less if you put it in your oil spritzer & use that to coat the pan)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled & diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced garlic (I think I did about 5 cloves)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast (I cheated & used a 13oz can of chicken, not equal to 2 cups, but it was enough for me)
- 2 cups steamed white rice (I used minute white rice)
- 2 cups prepared wild rice (cooked mine in a rice cooker)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used mild)
- Top with 1 cup (+) shredded cheddar cheese (I used medium)
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Heat oil in a pot (or heavily spray pot with oil spritzer) over medium heat. Saute onion, celery & carrots until softened; about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, salt, pepper, & garlic powder. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken & both prepared rices. Reduce heat to low & keep warm.
- For cheese sauce: melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk flour, salt & pepper, then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously. Whisk until thick & nearly boiling. Remove from heat & stir in cheese until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce into rice mixture, fold to coat everything, then transfer to a greased 9x13" baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese & bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly & cheese is melted through. Serve.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.