This is the BEST banana cake topped with the BEST cream cheese frosting!
Perfect for picnics and potlucks, this banana sheet cake is a crowd pleaser!
Everyone asks for the recipe!
For some odd reason, we haven’t been eating our bananas lately. I just finished up my health challenge (I lost 11.8lbs in 6 weeks! Go me!) but I was eating mostly protein (chicken, turkey) and veggies (spinach, peppers, broccoli, green beans, carrots) and hardly any fruit, even though I love it.
So apparently I was the only one in our house eating the bananas before I got all serious about losing weight, but all those bananas were frozen and are being put to good use in this cake!
I first made this cake to take to some neighbors. We recently moved, and I’m still making friends. What better way to make friends than by bringing them cake? (I know!) My friends absolutely RAVED about this cake, so I made it again on my cheat day, so I could actually taste it.
After I took a few bites, I thought, “This is way too good to not be on my blog!” so I grabbed a few pieces and photographed it, and here we are! I should say I have plans to make this cake again in the very near future, which would be the 3rd time in like 3 weeks. It’s that good!
The reason why this cake is so good, is because it’s super moist. The bananas paired with some buttermilk (or curdled lemon milk – which is what I do) make it incredibly moist, and the ripeness of the bananas create a bursting banana flavor.
The cream cheese frosting on top is none other than my tried and true recipe that’s gotten great reviews from many, many readers. It’s thick, soft, lightly sweet, and perfectly tangy. The BEST and only recipe I will ever use!
This banana cake doesn’t have nuts in it, but I know a lot of people out there think it’s a sin to have banana anything without nuts in it, so go ahead and throw some walnuts or pecans in it if you like. That won’t mess with the baking chemistry that makes this banana cake so perfect and delicious! I hope you love it as much as we do!
Favorite Banana Cake Recipe
This is the BEST banana cake topped with the BEST cream cheese frosting! Perfect for picnics and potlucks, this banana sheet cake is our favorite recipe!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 to 4 large, ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups, mashed)
- 2 large eggs (extra large eggs preferred)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup milk + 1 tsp lemon juice (or 2/3 cup buttermilk)
- 1 recipe The BEST Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix the milk and lemon juice. Let rest while preparing the rest of the recipe. (This mimics buttermilk if you don't have it.)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or using a bowl & electric hand mixer) cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the bananas and mix until mashed up. (If your bananas are cold [like thawed from the freezer], the butter may look chunky, but that's okay.)
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet mixture while the machine is running.
- Add the milk mixture all at once and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 13x18-inch baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes, just until cake is done. Check with a toothpick or if cake bounces back when pressed lightly with your finger. Allow to cool completely.
- Mix up a batch of The BEST Cream Cheese Frosting. Dollop spoonfuls evenly over the top of the cake. Spread evenly with a spatula, being careful not to lift the spatula off the cake, so the cake does not come up with the frosting
- Cut into 24 pieces and enjoy! Cover and store the cake at room temperature or in the refrigerator depending on personal preference. (Either way is fine. We like ours at room temperature.)
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Items Used For This Post:
This blog contains affiliate links. I include these links to help you find products that I love and use in my recipes. If you purchase an item from a link on Dessert Now Dinner Later, I will receive a small percentage of the purchase at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Dessert Now Dinner Later is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com