This deep dish casserole is a meatball sandwich and pizza in one! Saucy meatballs and pieces of pepperoni are sandwiched between fresh bread and topped with cheese for a hearty dinner, party appetizer, or sports game snack. *This post is brought to you by Rhodes Bake-N-Serv. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Dessert Now Dinner Later possible. The holidays are over, but it’s still winter, so hot food is a must! I whipped up this dish that is a combination of a meatball sandwich and deep dish pizza in one, and it was perfectly meaty and cheesy and something the whole family enjoyed! This Meatball Sandwich Pizza is almost like those slider-casseroles you see on Pinterest and Facebook, but this one is made with fresh dough that bakes right along with the filling. Who doesn’t love fresh bread, hot from the oven?! That’s what I thought. There is Parmesan cheese in the middle with the meaty, saucy mixture, and then more cheese goes on top. It’s ultimate casserole pleasure. This recipe is perfect for the whole family. I can also see “the guys” downing this Meatball Sandwich Pizza during the football game. It’s total man food. Pretty much anyone who is hungry would enjoy this. Try it! Recipe added 3/2/17. For a step-by-step photo tutorial, visit the Rhodes Bake-N-Serv Blog.
Meatball Sandwich Pizza
- 24 Rhodes Yeast Dinner Rolls, thawed almost to room temperature
- 32 frozen, fully cooked Italian style meatballs
- 14 ounce can pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated pizza cheese blend (cheddar and mozzarella)
- Cut rolls in half. Press half of the cut rolls into 3-inch circles onto the bottom of a sprayed 9x13 inch baking dish in 4 rows of 6. Press together to make sure the bottom of the pan is completely covered.
- Combine pizza sauce and frozen meatballs and microwave about 8 minutes until sauce is bubbling and meatballs are thawed through. Add chopped pepperoni and mix well. Pour mixture evenly over dough pieces in pan. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Flatten and place the remaining dough halves on top of the mixture in 4 rows of 6. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rise until dough doubles on top.
- Remove plastic and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 18 minutes. Cover with foil if needed to prevent over browning but make sure dough is baked through. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese blend. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.