Seven Layer Dip is one of those classic snacks for any party! It seems to be a crowd favorite, but this recipe has a special ingredient that I think makes it stand out from the other recipes.
Want to know what it is? Okay, it’s taco seasoning mixed in with sour cream and mayo. Dips that use sour cream, just need mayo in my opinion. It gives it more flavor and richness.
Everything else is just the 7 basics:
- Refried Beans – Did you know that refried beans aren’t naturally vegetarian? The difference is that regular refried beans are made with animal fats or lard. Vegetarian refried beans are made with plant fat/oil. So if you have friends that are vegetarian, you better buy the right beans so they can enjoy this dip!
- Guacamole – or pureed avocados
- Sour Cream – in this case mixed with taco seasoning and mayo
- Diced Tomatoes (or salsa)
- Sliced Olives
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced Green Onions
This makes a crowd size amount of dip, so make sure you have friends to share it with! It’s heaping on my oblong plate!
Make this Seven Layer Dip for your next party or football/superbowl gathering!
Seven Layer Dip
- 1 (16oz) can refried beans
- 3 avocados or 1 1/4 cup guacamole
- 1 Tbsp lemon or lime juice (omit if using guacamole)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (omit if using guacamole)
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup light mayo
- 3 Tbsp Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix or 1 packet store-bought taco seasoning
- 2 large tomatoes, diced or 1 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 (6oz) can medium black olives, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Spread refried beans on a LARGE plate or 10-inch pie dish.
- If you are using the avocados instead of guacamole, mix/puree them with the lemon/lime juice and sea salt. Drop by spoonfuls and spread over refried beans.
- In another bowl, mix the sour cream, mayo, and taco seasoning. Drop by spoonfuls and spread over avocados/guacamole.
- Layer the rest of the dip as follows: diced tomatoes/salsa, sliced olives, shredded cheese, and sliced green onions.
- Chill dip; tastes better when cold. Serve with tortilla chips.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Recipe lighlty altered from Tried and Tasty