This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me: Two TURTLE THUMBPRINTS! Ok, just kidding, but I love these cookies because they have that wow factor. My husband got home from work & saw these on the counter & said that they looked super professional. So let’s forget the fact that I am kind of a “professional.” Anyone can make these! They kind of seem like a lot of work, but they are so pretty to look at & just as delicious to eat. Make your guests’ jaws drop with these pretty turtle thumbprints. And don’t forget to come back tomorrow for more holiday goodies!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 extra large egg, separated
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4-1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup caramel bits
- 1 tsp water
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine flour, cocoa & salt; set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Add egg yolk, milk & vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- Add flour mixture until just combined. *OPTIONAL: REFRIGERATE dough until firm, about 1 hour. (I did not do this, but my ingredients were pretty chilled & my bowl was cold.)
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy. Place chopped pecans in another bowl. Scoop balls of dough & place on a plate or in another bowl.
- Roll prepared dough balls in frothy egg whites, then roll in chopped pecans. Place on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Using a ½ tsp measuring spoon, make an indentation in the center of each dough ball.
- Bake at 350*F for 12 minutes or until set.
- Gently re-press the indentations as the cookies come out of the oven.
- Microwave caramel bits with water in a bowl on HALF POWER for about 1 minute & stir until smooth. (I like to do 30 seconds at a time to make sure it doesn't burn.) Scoop ½ teaspoonfuls into the indented cookies. Repeat with all cookies.
- Place chocolate in a bowl & microwave on HALF POWER for about 1 minute & stir until smooth. (I also like to do this 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between intervals.) Place chocolate in a plastic bag, cut the corner & squeeze back & forth to create a zigzag design over the caramel. Repeat with all cookies.
- *OPTIONAL: Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on top of warm caramel or melted chocolate for an extra special treat.