Pina Colada Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
These Pina Colada Cupcakes have crushed pineapple in the cake, and coconut & rum extracts in the frosting, for a frozen drink inspired tropical dessert!
I am in full swing with summer flavors. I just can’t help it! I love citrus flavors! I love tropical flavors! I love fruity desserts! These Pina Colada Cupcakes are inspired by one of our favorite drinks, and my husband couldn’t stop raving about how they were the perfect blend of all the flavors!
Now, if you are looking for a boozy dessert, this is NOT it. Sorry, we aren’t drinkers, so all my desserts are alcohol-free. I simply swapped the booze for rum extract, and you still get that flavor in there while keeping these kid/family-friendly.
Let me break down this cupcake for you. Tender white cupcakes full of crushed pineapple, topped with a coconut and rum flavored buttercream, all sprinkled with toasted coconut for fun. Getting hungry yet?
I hope you have the chance to try these! I had 2 for lunch the day I made them. They are THAT good, haha!
Pina Colada Cupcakes
- 1 box dry white cake mix
- 1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple with juices
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup butter, unsalted
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 1 to 3 tsp milk, for thinning
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut
- Fill muffin/cupcake tins with 18 liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cupcake ingredients. Divide batter amongst the prepared 18 paper cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 13 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Meanwhile, using a large bowl and hand mixer, beat the butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, and the coconut and rum extracts. Mix well. Add just enough milk to thin the frosting to a pipeable consistency.
- Fill a pastry bag with a coupler and round tip. Fill with the buttercream and swirl the frosting on top of the cupcakes working from the outside, in towards the center.
- Immediately top with toasted coconut so it sticks to the frosting. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Recipe altered from This Silly Girl’s Life