*This post is brought to you by Rhodes Bake-N-Serv. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Frozen dough, nacho tortilla chips, and extra cheese transform ordinary pigs in a blanket into these extraordinary crunchy nacho dogs. Every now and then I like to let my kids pick what we eat for dinner, then I can bank on them eating their food and not complain about it the whole time. They almost always choose mac and cheese, pizza, or hot dogs. So, we took one of their favorite dinners, and transformed it just a little bit and it turned into something even mom and dad really enjoy eating. Pigs in a blanket is one of those classic dinners from everyone’s childhood, so we took that concept and created these crunchy nacho dogs. There is gooey cheese on the inside with the hot dog and crunchy nacho cheese tortilla chips on the outside for added texture and flavor. They are just as simple to put together with just one added step of the nacho chips on top, but you will be surprised how that crunch makes you enjoy this classic even more. The best part about these is that you don’t have to make the dough. You all know me by now — I totally use Rhodes Bread to make my life easier. I just can’t say no to thawing pre-made dough and creating something with it. My kids love the fresh bread, and so do I! Get the full recipe and step-by-step instructions on the Rhodes Kids blog. Your kids will thank you for it! They can even make these by themselves so you don’t have to cook dinner for once! Enjoy! Recipe added 5/26/16. For a step-by-step photo tutorial, visit the Rhodes Bake-N-Serv Blog.
Crunchy Nacho Dogs
- Rhodes White Dinner Rolls, thawed (1 per hot dog)
- Hot Dogs (as many as you want to make)
- Sliced Cheese (colby jack or cheddar), cut in half (1/2 slice per hot dog)
- Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips (a handful or two)
- 1 egg
- Start by rolling a Rhodes white dinner roll roughly 8-inches long and 2½-inches wide. We like to roll the dough in our hands first like a breadstick, and then roll it flat with the rolling pin.
- Place half of a slice of cheese in the center of the dough, place a hot dog on top and roll it up at an angle so it covers the hot dog from end to end. Pinch any seams together to seal the dough.
- Whisk an egg in a bowl and brush the top of the wrapped hot dog with the egg mixture, then press it into a plate of crushed nacho cheese tortilla chips (crush the chips with your hands or a rolling pin). Place the wrapped hot dog onto a silicone lined (or greased) baking sheet. Repeat with remaining hot dogs.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom. Serve immediately with ketchup and mustard, if desired.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.