This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
I am in full casserole mode now that it’s Fall & it’s so cold outside that turning my oven on helps warm me up! I will be honest, I was a little nervous about this casserole. It sounded, well, interesting because it’s meant to taste like an actual cheeseburger that you grill in the summertime. I was shocked when I took my first bite, that it actually had all the flavor components of a cheeseburger there! It has the seasoned beef, ketchup, mustard, tomatoes, onion, & cheese. Um, WOW! I really liked this casserole, like I went back for seconds because I liked it so much. The original recipe had diced up pickles in it, which you can feel free to add to this one, but I am not a pickle girl, so I left those out. Move over Hamburger Helper! This one is simple & delicious!
- 2 cups (6 oz) uncooked rotini pasta (spiral pasta)
- 2 tsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped (about 1 large onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tsp)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 97/3)
- 1 Tbsp peppercorn steak seasoning
- 6 Tbsp ketchup
- 3 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 (14.5oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup dill pickles, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease a 13x9" pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Boil the pasta in a large pot according to the packaged directions until al dente. Drain & set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown beef in a large skillet. Drain fat & set meat aside.
- In the same skillet heat oil & saute onions 10 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic & saute another minute or until fragrant.
- Return the beef to the pan & add the steak seasoning, ketchup, mustard, diced tomatoes, & cooked pasta. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into prepared pan & sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted & everything is heated through well. Serve hot topped with chopped dill pickle if desired.