I have been on a carrot cake kick, obviously, if you saw my Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from Sunday. There is just something I love about that spiced cake with cream cheese frosting. I honestly don’t make carrot cake enough! It’s seriously moist and delicious! And you have got to try my Cream Cheese Marbled Carrot Bars that I posted last year. Those were flipping amazing! I pretty much love anything with cream cheese!
Today’s recipe is a twist on the traditional Carrot Cake. It’s got a tropical flair with the addition of coconut and I have paired it with an orange citrus cream cheese frosting. SO GOOD! Don’t believe me? Just try these! You all know me and my citrus addiction … I will add limes, lemons or oranges to everything to make it better! It works, I promise.
These Coconut Carrot Cake Cupcakes would be perfect for an Easter party or any springtime gathering or baby shower for that matter. I hope you love them as much as we did!
Recipe added 9/10/15. Also seen on Love Grows Wild.
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1¼ cup peeled, shredded carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp orange zest (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake pan with paper cups. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in one bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in another bowl. Then slowly whisk in the oil, sour cream and vanilla. Whisk this mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Add the coconut and shredded carrots. Whisk until combined.
- Fill paper cups ⅔ full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the center is baked. Test doneness with a toothpick (will come out clean) or press lightly in the center with your finger, if the cake springs back, it's done. Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Make frosting by beating the cream cheese and butter in a bowl with a hand mixer. Add orange zest, orange juice, and powdered sugar all at once. Beat until just combined. Prepare a piping bag and tip. Fill it with frosting and pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Sprinkle the tops with extra zest for a garnish. Store cupcakes in an airtight container.
© DESSERT NOW, DINNER LATER! All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
More Carrot Cake?