Coconut Carrot Cake Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
I have been on a carrot cake kick, obviously, if you saw my Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from Sunday. There is just something I love about that spiced cake with cream cheese frosting. I honestly don’t make carrot cake enough! It’s seriously moist and delicious! And you have got to try my Cream Cheese Marbled Carrot Bars that I posted last year. Those were flipping amazing! I pretty much love anything with cream cheese!
Today’s recipe is a twist on the traditional Carrot Cake. It’s got a tropical flair with the addition of coconut and I have paired it with an orange citrus cream cheese frosting. SO GOOD! Don’t believe me? Just try these! You all know me and my citrus addiction … I will add limes, lemons or oranges to everything to make it better! It works, I promise.
These Coconut Carrot Cake Cupcakes would be perfect for an Easter party or any springtime gathering or baby shower for that matter. I hope you love them as much as we did!
Coconut Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Moist, fluffy carrot cake cupcakes combined with the tropical flavor of coconut, topped with a citrusy orange cream cheese frosting!
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/4 cup peeled, shredded carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp orange zest, plus extra for garnish
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake pan with paper cups. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in one bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in another bowl. Then slowly whisk in the oil, sour cream and vanilla. Whisk this mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Add the coconut and shredded carrots. Whisk until combined.
- Fill paper cups ⅔ full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the center is baked. Test doneness with a toothpick (will come out clean) or press lightly in the center with your finger, if the cake springs back, it's done. Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Make frosting by beating the cream cheese and butter in a bowl with a hand mixer. Add orange zest, orange juice, and powdered sugar all at once. Beat until just combined. Prepare a piping bag and tip. Fill it with frosting and pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Sprinkle the tops with extra zest for a garnish. Store cupcakes in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
*Recipe added 9/10/15. Also seen on Love Grows Wild.
More Carrot Cake?
11 Comments on “Coconut Carrot Cake Cupcakes”
Once you put on the cream cheese frosting, do they have to be refrigerated? I don’t want the frosting to spoil. I thought about making them today for Easter tomorrow. How long can you leave the frosting at room temp? Thanks in advance!
Cream cheese frosting is one of those things that you can do either, but not both. So as long as you make the cream cheese and leave it at (a cool) room temperature (not outside in the sun) you are fine. But if you make it and then refrigerate it, then you need to keep it cold. It’s when you put it in the fridge and then keep it out at room temp for so long and then put it back in the fridge that food poisoning occurs. If you are really worried, a good rule of thumb about leaving things out that need refrigerating, is that it can be left out for 4 hours before you would need to throw it out.
I love carrot cake and coconut. I never would’ve thought of putting them together. I can’t wait to try this.
Oh these look really, really good – pinned!
They look amazing! I will have to make them. I love carrot cake and I love coconut, so what’s not to love about these?
Love carrot cake! The tropical twist sounds perfect!
I have been a little carrot cake obsessed right now! So good!
These look so pretty and delicious! I love trying new cupcake flavors. This sounds like a fun one to try!
I love carrot cake – those look divine!
Yum!!! I like carrot cake but I am really digging the addition of coconut here. Coconut is one of my favorites. These look delicious!
Thanks! I love coconut too and it is really good in these cupcakes!