Key Lime Poke Cake
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
I warned you on Sunday that you would be seeing more lime posts, so here is another delicious lime recipe for you to try! I am not a huge cake fan, but the jello mixture that you pour over this delicate white cake makes it super moist! And anything with sweetened whipped cream makes me swoon. I don’t use the real deal that often, because let’s face it, cool whip (non-dairy frozen whipped topping) makes life easy, it’s cheap, and you can get it in light or non-fat. Well, this Key Lime Poke Cake uses the real deal so that’s reason number two to make this. Reason number one being that you need to get on board with my lime addiction and re-create all the lime recipes on my site, mmm-kay?
So, confession! I do that a lot on this blog, confess my culinary sins…anyway, this was my first poke cake and I only used a wooden skewer and kind of poured my jello mixture over the whole cake and not just into the holes (which made it really moist by the way.) So there aren’t very distinct lines of lime goodness, but you can still taste it just fine. The freshly sweetened whipped cream on top just makes this cake super dreamy and balanced amongst the tang of the lime. You are going to love it!
- 1 box white cake mix (plus the ingredients to make the cake)
- 1 small box of lime jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (Nellie & Joe's)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 squares graham cracker crumbs
- zest of 2 limes
- Prepare and bake cake according to directions on the box for a 9x13" pan. Allow to cool completely. Poke holes into the cake using a wooden skewer or the end of a wooden spoon.
- Add the dry jello mix to the boiling water. Then stir in the key lime juice and cold water. Pour mixture over the cake and into the holes. Allow to refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip heavy cream with powdered sugar until you reach stiff peaks. Spread mixture over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs and lime zest. Store cake in the refrigerator.
Recipe lightly altered from I Should Be Mopping the Floor
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Recipe added 9/10/15. Also seen on Love Grows Wild.