BEST Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
The BEST Rice Krispie Treats Recipe is soft, gooey, crispy, and chewy — and this is it! Better than the original, you won’t be able to just eat one! Enjoy this classic (done right) with your family and friends.
This classic treat has been enjoyed for many generations. Kids and adults alike just can’t get enough of this iconic dessert. Rice Krispie Treats are definitely a memory maker.
It’s always fun to create unique flavors of rice krispie treats with things like Oreos or Biscoff Spread. You can even switch out the cereal for rainbow crispy treats. Consider the possibilities, or enjoy the classic as-is, with the best rice krispie treats recipe (below).
I’m sorry to say it, but the original rice krispie treats recipe, just doesn’t cut it. It’s not as soft and chewy as the stuff they sell in the individually wrapped packages at the store. And even those don’t hold a candle to this homemade version.
The Best Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
What makes this the BEST rice krispie treats recipe is that it has way more butter, and way more marshmallows, so it’s soft, chewy, and oh so gooey.
Every time I make these rice krispie treats for friends and neighbors, they rave about them and ask for the recipe. I’ve just kind of giggled and told them that you basically double the butter and marshmallows. Then I thought I better share exactly how I make my favorite rice krispie treats recipe, so everyone else who wants to can enjoy them.
Can you see the ratio of marshmallow to rice cereal that these rice crispy treats have? When you pull them apart you get that “cheese-pull” effect, but with marshmallows. So good!
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup (8 Tbsp) butter (salted or unsalted)
- Two 10-oz bags (20-oz total) mini marshmallows, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt, optional
- Coat a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place crispy rice cereal in a large bowl. Add half of a 10-oz bag of mini marshmallows to the dry cereal. (About 4 cups.)
- In large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the remaining marshmallows and salt (if desired). Stir constantly until just barely melted completely. Remove from heat. Let rest 1-2 minutes to cool slightly. (This prevents the marshmallows with the cereal from melting all the way.)
- Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir until evenly mixed. Pour into prepared pan and flatten with a greased spatula or rolling pin. Cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve. Cover and store any leftovers with plastic wrap or in an airtight container up to 5 days.
*Don't like chunks of marshmallows in your rice krispie treats? Just melt all of them.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g