Easy Coconut Cream Pie
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
This Easy Coconut Cream Pie is light, delicious, and simple using instant coconut pudding, whipped cream, and toasted coconut.
I’m on a pie kick in preparation for Pi Day (3.14) and this Easy Coconut Cream Pie is super simple to make. You can even cheat and use a frozen store-bought crust. The thing I love about this pie is that the texture is light, so you don’t feel like you are eating a heavy dessert after a big meal.
We would make Coconut Cream Pie almost exactly like this at a bakery I used to work in. Pudding, whipped cream, and toasted coconut. We didn’t have coconut flavored pudding in the bakery, but we would use coconut extract with the toasted coconut in a vanilla pudding.
Luckily Jell-O brand has an Instant Coconut Cream Pudding Mix which makes this coconut cream pie super easy to make. All the more reason to whip it up and serve to your family (or friends).
I like to mix some whipped cream in with my coconut pudding to make it a little lighter, but not too much that it won’t set up. Of course you top the pie with extra whipped cream and toasted coconut for good measure. I hope you like it as much as I do!
- 1 blind baked pie crust (a store-bought frozen crust is fine)
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut (directions below)
Coconut Cream Pudding:
- 2 (3.4oz) boxes Jell-O Instant Coconut Cream Pudding Mix
- 2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
Sweetened Whipped Cream (Can substitute 1-8oz tub of Cool Whip, if desired)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract, optional
- Bake pie crust according to directions on package & allow to cool. (You can half this recipe & follow directions for blind baking if a homemade crust is desired.)
- Toast coconut. OVEN METHOD: Place coconut flakes onto an un-greased baking sheet. Toast at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 minutes. Stir. Toast 1 minute. Stir. Toast 45 seconds and take it out of the oven. Each oven is different so toasting time may vary. PLEASE keep an eye on the oven the WHOLE TIME! Coconut toasts quickly once it starts to brown. Stir it frequently as it toasts. STOVETOP METHOD: Place coconut flakes into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until desired color/level of toasting. Remove from heat and immediately empty into a heat safe bowl to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk pudding mix with milk until dissolved completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and coconut extract (if desired) until stiff peaks are formed. The cream will have ripples in it as it's whisking when it's ready.
- Fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream into the pudding and mix until all the streaks are gone. Spread the filling into the cooled pie crust. Top with remaining whipped cream. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (+).
- Remove the pie from the fridge. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top just before serving to ensure a crisp texture. Slice and serve. Enjoy!
*You may be able to serve this pie immediately if you keep the filling as cold as possible while preparing.