Chocolate Cherry Banana Bread Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
These Chocolate Cherry Banana Bread Muffins are loaded with fresh, plump cherries. They’re a perfect way to use up your extra bananas while fresh cherries are in season!
Hi there! I’m Jess from Flying on Jess Fuel, and I’m super excited to be here today to share a yummy breakfast idea with you today while Amber is enjoying her maternity leave. My husband and I live in Central California, which is food production capital of the country. We’re surrounded by miles and miles of dairy farms, veggie farms, and fruit and nut orchards. So summer is an especially awesome time for us because we get a ton of amazing local produce. We have some friends who own a bunch of cherry orchards, and every year when harvesting time comes around, they gift us with more cherries than we can possibly eat.
Ripe, fresh cherries have got to be one of the best things in the world. And of course, they’re especially amazing when paired with chocolate! I love making big batches of muffins for the freezer. They’re a great snack that I can easily grab and pop in hubby’s lunchbox during the week. I make all kinds of muffins, but banana bread is definitely one of our favorites. Can anyone really disagree with that?!
With my abundance of fresh cherries, I decided to combine all three flavors– cherries, chocolate and banana bread! The result is a Black Forest-esque banana bread muffin. I wanted to keep these healthy enough for breakfast, but if you wanted to make them more of a dessert (or just an extra-indulgent breakfast), you could totally add some chocolate chips, too! These muffins came out moist, chocolately and so delicious. Hope you enjoy them just as much as we did!
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place cupcake liners in (or spray) a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, beat together banana, coconut oil, egg and sugars until well combined.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; mix until just combined. Fold in cherries by hand.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool a few minutes in the muffin tin, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store extras in an airtight container, or freeze for later!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g