Roasted Red Pepper Chicken & Apple Sausage Orzo Soup
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
You’ll love this delicious homemade soup with roasted red peppers, chicken sausage, and orzo pasta!
I think I can honestly say that this is the BEST healthy soup I have ever made! Not that it’s the “healthiest”, but it is healthier than most of the soups on this blog & it just has a depth of flavor that is SO satisfying. The broth itself is out of this world! I am already planning the next time I will make this soup! Even the kids scarfed it all gone, well everything but the peppers for them. Even as leftovers, this soup is phenomenal! The orzo soaks up a lot of the liquid by the next day, but it is still a delicious hearty, flavorful meal!
Get the ingredients on your shopping list asap. You will not want to miss out on this one. Make it at least one time this fall/winter okay? Promise?! Do it! You won’t regret it!
- 1 (12 ounce) package Aidells Chicken & Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage (4 links), cut in half width-wise & then sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled & finely sliced*
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth (I mix hot water with Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base)
- 2/3 cup orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp basil, chopped (I LOVE to use Gourmet Garden Paste)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Optional: Serve with a sprinkle of shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick stock pot, brown chicken sausage for about 5 to 6 minutes. Put cooked sausage into a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in the empty stock pot. Add onion & saute 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic & cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add sliced roasted red peppers, bay leaves, & chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered with a vented lid for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Bring mixture to a boil & add orzo pasta, dried parsley & browned sausage. Cook orzo for 10 minutes or according to the time specified on the package.
- Add basil & season to taste with salt & pepper. Serve hot with a sprinkle of shredded parmesan cheese, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Recipe added 9/10/15. Also seen on Love Grows Wild.