You’ll love this delicious homemade soup with roasted red peppers, chicken sausage, and orzo pasta!
I think I can honestly say that this is the BEST healthy soup I have ever made! Not that it’s the “healthiest”, but it is healthier than most of the soups on this blog & it just has a depth of flavor that is SO satisfying. The broth itself is out of this world! I am already planning the next time I will make this soup! Even the kids scarfed it all gone, well everything but the peppers for them. Even as leftovers, this soup is phenomenal! The orzo soaks up a lot of the liquid by the next day, but it is still a delicious hearty, flavorful meal!
Get the ingredients on your shopping list asap. You will not want to miss out on this one. Make it at least one time this fall/winter okay? Promise?! Do it! You won’t regret it!
Recipe added 9/10/15. Also seen on Love Grows Wild.
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken & Apple Sausage Orzo Soup
- 1 (12 ounce) package Aidells Chicken & Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage (4 links), cut in half width-wise & then sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled & finely sliced*
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth (I mix hot water with Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base)
- 2/3 cup orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp basil, chopped (I LOVE to use Gourmet Garden Paste)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Optional: Serve with a sprinkle of shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick stock pot, brown chicken sausage for about 5 to 6 minutes. Put cooked sausage into a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in the empty stock pot. Add onion & saute 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic & cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add sliced roasted red peppers, bay leaves, & chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered with a vented lid for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Bring mixture to a boil & add orzo pasta, dried parsley & browned sausage. Cook orzo for 10 minutes or according to the time specified on the package.
- Add basil & season to taste with salt & pepper. Serve hot with a sprinkle of shredded parmesan cheese, if desired.