Corn Bread Stuffing
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and this is a recipe that is sure to be loved by all! The corn bread stuffing is fluffy and lightly sweet. There are bits of crunchy nuts, and tart, yet sweet cherries for a savory-sweet Thanksgiving side dish.
We had a gluten-free version of this stuffing last year for Thanksgiving, so I knew I wanted to make it again! I used a box mix of corn bread this time, but any homemade 9×9-inch pan recipe works. I love all the flavors and textures of this corn bread stuffing, and I think you will love it too!
- 1 9x9-inch pan cooked corn bread
- 2 Tbsp pure olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup walnut pieces, or pecan pieces, or slivered almonds
- 1 cup dried cherries, or cherry flavored cranberries
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon/base
- Cut corn bread into 1-inch cubes. It will crumble some. You may spread the cornbread out on a pan, loosely cover it with plastic wrap and let it stale a bit overnight, or you may use it as it is.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion, celery, salt, sage, and thyme. Stir for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add walnut pieces and toast for a couple minutes until nutty and fragrant.
- Mix 2 cups of hot water with 2 tsp chicken bouillon/base to make broth. Add the chicken broth and dried cherries to the pan. Heat until broth boils.
- Place cornbread cubes in a lightly greased 13x9-inch pan. Pour broth and vegetable mixture evenly over the top of the cornbread cubes.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the edges of the cornbread stuffing are browning and the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the stuffing with a fork and serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g