If you follow me on Instagram, then you know that I am participating in a 6 week health challenge. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow, and I’m feeling great! I can always use a healthy meal low in calories, yet filling and easy like this Crockpot Chicken and Black Bean Taco Salad!
Another fun part about this meal, for me, is that I got to use greens from my own garden! We have two different kinds of lettuce: salad bowl lettuce, and head lettuce (green leaf). We’ve got a square foot garden and have 4 squares with 8 heads of lettuce that we trim down every few days. We have only had lettuce from our garden so far this summer. It’s been great! Growing your own food really makes it that much more fun to eat!
Anyway, back to this meal! It’s fabulous and fresh. The avocado and cilantro dressing really gives it a southwest flavor. Delicious and healthy!
Crockpot Chicken and Black Bean Taco Salad
For the crockpot chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts (16 oz or 1 lb)
- 1 Tbsp low sodium taco seasoning (or homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
One-half cup of this Zesty Avocado Cilantro Buttermilk Dressing (recipe makes 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk plus 1 tsp lemon juice)
- 1 small jalapeño, deseeded
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green onion
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the salad
- 6 cups chopped green leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the chicken in a small crockpot. Season the chicken with taco seasoning, and then top it with black beans and salsa.
- Cook on low for 4 hours. Shred with two forks. Makes 3½ cups.
- To make dressing: Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. To thin, add more buttermilk until desired texture. Makes 1½ cups.
- To assemble salad: Place 1½ cups lettuce on each plate, top with ¾ cup chicken and bean mixture, 1 Tbsp cheese and 2 Tbsp dressing. Enjoy!
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.