Ham and Cheese Pasta Bake
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Easter is coming up in just a few short days and you might end up having leftover ham. Well, this dinner is perfect for that, and I freaking scarfed it down. It’s delicious! Last year we made Grilled Ham & Pineapple Kabobs for Easter, which you can also use leftover ham in. Alternately, you can try my Ham & Broccoli Braid or Cheesy Potatoes & Ham Casserole with your leftover ham. Cheese and ham go really well together. 😉
This Ham and Cheese Pasta Bake is cheesier than this picture suggests, with a creamy white cheddar cheese sauce and the spinach adds just the right pop of color and flavor. This meal is very filling and one that the whole family will enjoy. It’s different than most of my typical dinners, so that’s why I think I liked it so much.
I get a little tired of chicken and ground beef all the time. I don’t typically have white pasta very often either (we usually get wheat) so that might be another reason why I went back for seconds, haha! Anyway, you will enjoy this simple weeknight dinner!
Ham and Cheese Pasta Bake
- 1 (16oz) box Ziti
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups (8oz) Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb about 2 to 3 cups fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1 (10oz) bag fresh spinach, thinly sliced
- Prepare ziti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat, stir in the cheeses, garlic powder, and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain ziti; add to sauce mixture. Stir in ham and spinach; cook until spinach welts. Transfer to a greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
11 Comments on “Ham and Cheese Pasta Bake”
Fantastically delicious. I used sliced ham cubed we didn’t use for holidays. Was great, added @ 1/4 C wine, and 5 cheese Italian and Monterey cheese since my hubby doesn’t care for swiss cheese. Garlic powder (1/4 tsp for 1 medium clove) as well as red onion and fresh green beans.
How would you suggest to make this a freezer meal? I don’t want to make the pasta mushy or anything of the sort.
Just make sure you undercook your pasta by several minutes (maybe even half the time). You can also add more milk to the sauce so when the pasta soaks it up as it bakes, it won’t take all the liquid. When you bake it later, it will most likely take 45 minutes or more to heat thoroughly. Just make sure it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the center.
I added mushrooms and onions, and it was delicious!
Great additions! Thanks for coming back to share your experience!
This looks like the perfect use for leftover Easter ham!
Oh I can’t wait to make it again!
I love ziti pasta! 🙂
Yum! This is my kind of pasta. Can’t wait to try it! Pinned!
This looks super yummy, what a delicious Spring meal! Thanks for sharing! Pinning this!
Looks delicious as always! I’ll have to try this with my leftover ham! Thanks Amber