White Cheddar Bacon Mac and Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
This White Cheddar Bacon Mac and Cheese will become your favorite comfort food with tender elbow macaroni, creamy white cheddar sauce, and bits of bacon throughout!
Y’all have no idea how long ago I actually made this and how much agony I have had waiting for it to go live! Sometimes some of my favorite recipes get pushed back for seasonal content, but that’s okay. Mac and cheese is comfort food all fall and winter long!
I’m drooling over these pictures and already have plans for this White Cheddar Bacon Mac and Cheese again on our dinner menu! After all, it’s one meal I KNOW my kids will eat. Who doesn’t love bacon, pasta, and cheese?!
If there’s one thing that can ruin a homemade mac and cheese quick, it’s cheap quality cheese. Not in this recipe! We used the BEST Vermont Sharp Cheddar from Cabot! It melts beautifully and has great flavor! This isn’t your boxed mac and cheese! (p.s. do you like the little helper hands?…my little 5 year old buddy helped me make this.)
If you think this recipe sounds good, you must check out my recipe for Ham and Cheese Pasta Bake! It’s another delicious recipe using Cabot’s quality cheese!
Switching topics. Can I tell you a secret about bacon, since I can’t stop drooling over the chopped pieces on top of this mac and cheese? If you bake it in the oven, it comes out much crisper and more evenly cooked than a griddle or frying pan!
Cover a baking sheet with foil, layer your bacon, and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 18 (+) minutes to your desired crispness. The bacon stays flatter that way too, so great for sandwiches!
This meal comes together quite fast. The longest part is waiting for the bacon to crisp up in the oven, but the bacon with the cheese is just a match made in heaven for this recipe!
We added green onions on top and some sour cream in the cheese sauce for a mac and cheese similar to that of a loaded baked potato! It’s delicious folks! Make this, and soon, please!
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 slices of bacon cooked until crisp, and chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- green onions, diced
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place the bacon on it. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 18 to 22 minutes or until desired crispness. Keep a close eye on it at the 18 minute mark. Remove from oven and transfer to a paper towel to soak up the grease. Once cooled, chop into bits and set aside.
- Boil the pasta according to directions on box, about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter and flour and cook for one minute. Whisk in milk and stir until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and add the shredded cheese and sour cream. Stir until melted and combined.
- Add the cooked macaroni and most of the bacon. Stir, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with extra chopped bacon and green onions on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g