Spicy Sausage Pasta
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
I am always looking for fun new dinner ideas. We love kielbasa/smoked sausage & pasta, so I for sure wanted to try this. I altered it to try & make it spicier because the original recipe, although named the same, sounded very mild. This turned out quite delicious! It’s almost like a spicy mac & cheese with sausage. Enjoy!
Spicy Sausage Pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup (2%) milk
- 6-8 oz whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Weber N'Orleans Cajun
- 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage & onions. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic & cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, green chiles, milk & penne to the skillet. Bring to a boil, cover & reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender & liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat & stir in 1 cup of cheese & half the green onions. (If you didn't use an oven safe skillet, place contents into a 13x9" baking dish now.) Top with remaining ½ cup of cheese & other half of the green onions. Broil until cheese is melted, & starts to brown.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Recipe altered from Kevin & Amanda