Light Italian Meatball Soup
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Hopefully by now you have noticed that I am soup lover, if not just go to my recipe page & scroll down to Soup/Stews/Chilis, you should find something you’ll like. I tend to prefer the cream based soups, but lately I have tried my hand at some healthier soups. This one was delicious! It made a LOT for my young family of four, but the leftovers were still good to eat! This soup is tomato & beef broth based, so that makes it healthier without any cream. The meat is lean & the vegetables give it the perfect balance between the pasta, meat & broth. The fresh basil & parsley really makes this soup taste wholesome & good for you. I loved this fresh, Light Italian Meatball Soup!
Light Italian Meatball Soup
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 carrots, peeled & diced (or about 12-14 thick baby carrots thinly sliced)
- 2 celery rib, washed & diced
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water (I left this out, but the noodles soaked up the majority of the liquid as it sat while we were eating which actually made a nice leftovers dish.)
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14.5oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic (I used S&W Petite Cut Tomatoes Diced with Sweet Onions & Roasted Garlic in Rich Juice)
- 1/2 lb Ditalini Pasta
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped basil
- 1 lb (97%) lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 1 large egg
- Make meatballs by combining all the ingredients into a large bowl. Mix with hands to combine. Use a 1 Tbsp scoop to portion the meat, & then roll the meatballs in your hands to make them nice & round.
- In a large 8 quart non-stick stock pot over medium high heat, sear the meatballs on two sides. Don't cook all the way through. Remove meatballs & save on a plate. (You can eliminate this step & just add the meatballs in step #5, but I think searing them adds good flavor.)
- Return stock pot to the stove & warm olive oil. Add carrots & celery. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth, water, tomato paste, & tomatoes. Stir to combine. Cover & bring to a boil.
- Drop seared meatballs into the broth. Cover the pot & allow to boil for 5 minutes. Stir meatballs gently.
- Add pasta & cook an additional 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Add basil & parsley; stir & serve.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Recipe lightly altered from Parade