When I first started this blog, I proclaimed that I was a casserole hater. Over the last almost 2 years of blogging, I have realized that statement was a complete LIE! Haha. I am a casserole lover! It’s true! There is something about dumping everything into one dish to make dinner easier that most busy families love, myself included. This one is a new favorite of ours! I have another recipe for Tator Tot Casserole here on my blog that is more traditional with cream soup & you can even make that one in the crock pot. We make that recipe frequently, so I knew this one would be a hit! When I came across this idea of Sloppy Joe Tator Tot Casserole from The Savvy Kitchen, I put it on my make soon list, & boy am I glad I did! We loved it! It’s meaty, sloppy, and the tator tots & cheese give it extra heartiness. This is a great meal that feeds a lot & is so warm & filling. Enjoy!
Sloppy Joe Tator Tot Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 (15oz) can Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (16oz) package frozen tator tots/tator puffs
- Pre-heat oven to 450*F.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the peppers & onions, until the meat is cooked through. Drain the fat & return meat mixture to the heat.
- Stir in the corn, sloppy joe sauce, & cream cheese. Cook over low heat until the cream cheese is melted.
- Pour the sloppy joe mixture into a greased 13x9" baking dish. Top the mixture with half of the grated cheese.
- Arrange the tator tots in a single layer over the top of the cheese. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbling & tots are cooked all the way through. Remove from the oven & sprinkle with chopped chives if desired. Serve immediately.