Got Turkey? Need a last minute turkey leftovers idea? I know Thanksgiving was only a mere 2 days ago, & you might be sick of turkey by now, but let’s get to using those leftovers! I made this last night for dinner & posted a quick pic to instagram & my personal facebook page. Apparently people thought it was a good idea, so I hurried & snapped a picture. I don’t have a white box for taking pictures after it gets dark, & this picture is less than perfect, but you get the idea. Creamy turkey, broccoli, & rice casserole dish! Delish!
- 2 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup light miracle whip (It has to be the tangy zip of miracle whip!)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice (I use minute/instant rice)
- 1/2 12-14oz bag frozen broccoli florets thawed/drained of any liquid
- 2 cups shredded/cubed turkey
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
- 1/3 cup Progresso Italian bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350*F. Spray a 9x13-inch rectangular baking dish with pan spray & place thawed broccoli florets into the bottom of the dish. You can take kitchen shears to trim any large pieces.
- Sprinkle cubed turkey on top of the broccoli. If you are cooking your instant rice, now is a good time to throw it in the microwave.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour & bouillon till it comes together. Gradually whisk in milk, cooking & stirring constantly until mixture boils & thickens (will happen suddenly when it does.)
- Stir in miracle whip, mustard, brown sugar & remove from heat. Add cooked rice & pour over turkey/broccoli mixture in the dish. Top with shredded cheese.
- Mix bread crumbs with 1 Tbsp melted butter, sprinkle the bread crumbs over the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated & sauce bubbles.