Homemade Mint Oreos
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
These Homemade Mint Oreos have a simple mint buttercream sandwiched between crisp, yet tender, dark chocolate cookies!
I think it’s safe to say that I’ve become quite a fan of sandwich cookies, whoopie pies, whatever you want call them, and these homemade mint oreos are so delicious!
The cookie base is crisp, yet tender and full of dark chocolate goodness! If you like softer cookies, just wait to eat these until the second day. The moisture from the mint buttercream soaks into the cookie and makes it really tender! Speaking of mint buttercream … I’m a fan of mint as long as it doesn’t taste like toothpaste, and since this recipe only uses 1 tsp of peppermint extract, you get all that mint flavor without feeling like you are brushing your teeth and eating cookies at the same time. 😉
I took these cookies to a church party and a little boy came up to me and was like, “Your mint Oreos are very yummy!” It was adorable and also makes these cookies kid approved! 😀
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tsp water or milk for thinning the frosting to desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the butter 1 Tbsp at a time until the mixture crumbles, then add the egg. Continue mixing until the dough comes together.
- Scoop dough into Tablespoon sized balls and place them on parchment or silicone lined baking sheets 2-inches apart. Slightly flatten dough balls with moistened hands or the bottom of a wet measuring cup.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Move baked cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the buttercream, whip butter and shortening in a large bowl with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the peppermint extract. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar. If the frosting becomes too stiff to pipe from a plastic bag, add water 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency.
- Fill a plastic sandwich bag with mint buttercream. Cut off the corner and pipe a swirl on the bottom of one cookie. Top with the bottom of another cookie to create an Oreo sandwich cookie. Repeat with all cookies. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g