Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
These Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are packed with flavor thanks to garlic and herbs, and making them in the slow cooker is the best solution for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner!
You know that come Thanksgiving this Thursday you are going to be out of oven space, stovetop space, and heck, even kitchen counter space, so finding a different solution to cook some of the food you are serving is sure to come in handy. That’s why I’m sharing the recipe for these super easy (and SUPER DELICIOUS) slow cooker mashed potatoes!
Have you ever cooked potatoes in your slow cooker before? Oh I have. You can do baked potatoes with or without foil, but you can totally dice up potatoes and cook them as is, NO WATER, in the crockpot and they turn out great. It’s a wonderful option for Sunday dinners, special occasions (i.e. Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner), or any other night that you want mashed potatoes.
Put them in a greased slow cooker with or without their skin on (I L.O.V.E. skin on my mashed potatoes) and cook them on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or LOW for 5 to 6 hours depending on the size and type of potato. Try to only cook them until fork tender. You don’t want over-cooked starchy potatoes. After the slow cooking is done, just throw in a little (okay, a lot — well, a cube) of butter, some garlic, herbs, sour cream, and milk.
Then pull out that hand mixer and get to whipping! Okay this next picture is kind of misleading. I started mixing them in the slow cooker, and then it started splattering and getting everywhere. I grabbed an apron, and it was still messy, SO, make sure you only fill your crock pot half full, OR, put the potatoes in a LARGE bowl and then mix away. You can then put your mashed potatoes back in the slow cooker to keep warm for serving.
Like seriously you guys… FLAVORFUL mashed potatoes! Rich, buttery, garlicky, herby, goodness! I’m never making mashed potatoes another way ever again. These are that good!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes (russet, red, yellow, etc.) -- approximately 5 to 6 potatoes, washed and diced (peeled or unpeeled)
- 8 Tbsp (1/2 cup OR 1 stick) salted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- Add diced potatoes to a greased slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- When potatoes are cooked and fork-tender, add all remaining ingredients (let the butter melt for a couple of minutes).
- Use a hand mixer or a potato masher to mash the potatoes. (Only do this in the slow cooker if it is half full, otherwise it may shoot out at you while you are mixing.) Serve warm.