Southwestern Mac and Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
You know those days when you haven’t stopped going since you woke up and then you realilze that it’s almost time for dinner and you have no idea what you are going to make?
Picking up a pizza sounds good, but you’re trying to stay in your budget, so you open up your pantry to see what you can make from what’s in there. This Southwestern Mac and Cheese fits that description perfectly!
Sometimes the dinner dilemma is a huge problem, but I think there’s one thing that most moms keep on hand in their cupboard which can be a life saver for dinner time: mac and cheese!
So I took that box of mac and cheese and put some other things I almost always have on hand in it (canned beans, canned corn, and salsa) to create this bold new dinner idea: Southwestern Mac and Cheese!
Even moms and dads like to enjoy a box of mac and cheese sometimes, but this way there’s some extra ingredients to make it a heartier, more well-rounded meal.
Maybe you don’t have black beans, corn, and salsa on hand all the time like I do. That’s okay. Just check out the Horizon MAC-N-ATOR tool (mac-n-cheese recipe generator) and put in the ingredients you have sitting at home to create your own unique mac and cheese dinner!
Dinner doesn’t always have to be fancy or complicated. It can be easy and delicious!
The Horizon Classic Mac used in this recipe is made with organic pasta and real organic cheese, which isn’t neon orange like some other boxed brands, plus it has 9 grams of protein so you can feel good about feeding it to your family!
Check out this pinterest board, for more mac and cheese dinner ideas or you can recreate my recipe below.
Southwestern Mac and Cheese
- 1 (6oz) box Horizon Classic Mac - Macaroni & Mild Cheddar Cheese (plus 1/4 cup milk and 2 Tbsp butter as stated on the box)
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15oz) can corn, drained
- 1 cup medium or hot salsa
- Optional: 1 cup shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- Prepare mac and cheese according to the box directions.
- Meanwhile, heat black beans for 2 minutes in the microwave. Keep warm.
- Heat corn in the microwave for 2 minutes. Keep warm.
- Once mac and cheese is ready, add the heated beans and corn. Stir in the salsa and heat through. Add additional cheese, if desired, and stir until melted. Serve warm.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.