Strawberries & Cream Coffee Cake
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Oh. My. Gosh. This cake is so good! I told my husband that this will probably be my birthday cake this year! It was moist, fruity, creamy, perfection! It’s almost more cheesecake than coffee cake, but I loved the fruit & crumble topping. The ratio of butter cake to cheesecake & fruit is just perfect! It adds a whole other depth of chewy crumbly texture to enjoy with the smooth creamy filling & sweet fruit. It’s like all the good stuff in one dessert: cake, pie, & cheesecake all in one. I loved every last bite! I cannot recommend this cake more! Make it!
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, cut into pieces (equals about 1/2 pound strawberries)
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tsp water
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese (I used Neufchatel), room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
Butter Cake and Crumb Topping:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cold & cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Line a 9-inch round pan with removable bottom with a circle of parchment. Using baking spray, coat the sides of the pan. I also spray a little baking spray on the bottom, underneath the parchment to help hold it in place.
- PREPARE THE STRAWBERRY JAM: Combine cornstarch & water in a bowl to make a slurry. Mix the strawberries & sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until the strawberries release their juices; about 5 minutes. Then add the cornstarch slurry & stir until well-combined Stir for another minute or two until it has thickened. Remove from heat & cool to room temperature while you prepare the rest of the cake.
- PREPARE THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING: Using a hand mixer, in a medium size bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium speed for about 30 seconds until smooth. Add in the sugar & egg & beat until well-combined. Set aside.
- PREPARE THE CAKE: Combine the flour & sugar in a stand mixer. Cut in the butter with the paddle attachment on low until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Measure ¾ cup of the mixture & set aside. Add the baking soda, baking powder & salt to the remaining mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk sour cream, egg & vanilla until well-blended. Add this wet mixture to the dry mixture until just incorporated. Will be thick & lumpy. Scrape bowl as needed.
- ASSEMBLE THE CAKE & BAKE: Spread the cake batter in the pan coming up the sides making a border & leaving a well in the center. Pour cream cheese mixture in the center over the cake batter, being careful not to go beyond the border. Spread the strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining ¾ cup crumbs over the strawberry filling.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the center is set & doesn't jiggle. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the cake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g