Woof ‘Ems (Camping Recipe)
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Woof ‘Ems (aka campfire eclairs) are an easy and delicious, 3-ingredient camping treat that will have you wanting more!
*This post is brought to you by Rhodes Bake-N-Serv. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Dessert Now Dinner Later possible.
My husband has been a scout leader for a long time. At least the last 4 years of our 8 1/2 years of marriage. And one of his favorite things to make with the boy scouts while camping is woof ’ems. If you haven’t ever heard of woof ’ems, they are a campfire treat, almost like a cream pie in a roasted dough shell. They are so easy to make and they get gobbled up quick, hence the name “woof ’ems.”
The ingredients are simple, uncooked dough (most people use biscuit dough from the can, we like thawed Rhodes white dinner rolls), pudding, and whipped cream. Simple and delicious! Unfortunately I don’t have woof ’em sticks. You can buy WOOF ’em sticks or WOLF ’em sticks on Amazon (I wonder which one was invented first?), but I wanted to make these with some things I had on hand and it totally worked! All you need is a regular hot dog stick and heavy duty foil. It does take quite a bit of foil, but if you are in a pinch, these work great! Roll up some foil to fill in the gap between the two pricks of a hot dog stick. Then wrap more foil around the whole thing until it’s about 1 & 1/2 to 2-inches thick and you are ready to go!
These are so easy even little kids can make them! My 7 year old boy sure loves to roast his own, and he scarfs them down like it ain’t nobody’s business.
If you aren’t camping, you can still make these! Roast them on the grill or over a burner on the stovetop, and you can enjoy them any time you want.
Pudding cups and whipped cream in a can is the easiest way to make these. You can also try pie filling, fresh fruit, or go completely savory with something like chili and cheese. Any way you make them, I bet you can’t eat just one! Enjoy my friends!
Woof 'Ems (Camping Recipe)
Woof 'Ems are an easy and delicious, 3-ingredient camping treat that will have you wanting more!
- Hot Dog Roasting Sticks
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
- Cooking Spray
- Rhodes White Dinner Rolls, thawed (1 roll per person)
- Pudding Cups (Chocolate, Vanilla, Coconut, etc.), 1 pudding cup per Rhodes roll
- Whipped Cream in a can
- Make a woof ‘em stick by rolling up some foil to fill in the gap between the two pricks of a hot dog stick. Then wrap more foil around the pricks and center foil until it's about 1 & ½ to 2-inches thick. (See tutorial images within post as a reference.)
- LIGHTLY spray the end of a woof 'em stick with cooking spray. (Too much cooking spray will make the dough slide off, and not enough will make it stick.) Flatten a Rhodes roll with your hands and cup it around the end of the woof 'em stick as evenly as you can for proper cooking.
- Roast the dough slowly over coals or a gas grill for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Don't brown the dough too quickly or the inside will still be raw.
- Gently slide the dough off of the stick. Fill it with your favorite flavor of pudding, top it with whipped cream, and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
2 Comments on “Woof ‘Ems (Camping Recipe)”
I didn’t know I could make a homemade woof-ems thing. I had them a few times at young woman activities several years ago, but now I cant wait to make my own!
I totally channeled my inner DIY-er and figured out how to make it work with a regular hot dog stick. I’m happy with my creation. I hope it works well for you Aimee!