Blonde Lemon Brownies
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
These Blonde Lemon Brownies are wonderfully tangy, sweet, and moist dessert bars. They have a dense texture like a fudgy brownie, and are topped with a creamy lemon icing for the ultimate lemon dessert.
It’s not quite Spring, but I’m looking forward to it by baking citrus desserts! I shared these Blonde Orange Brownies back in 2013 and they were so good! I realized, “I should make a lemon version of these!” And here they are!
These lemon brownies are more likely to be considered blondies because of their color. They’re thick, dense, and moist like a brownie, without the chocolate.
There’s also no leavening in them, besides the eggs, so they aren’t puffy and light like a cake.
The use of lemon juice and zest in the batter and icing creates a bright, slightly tangy note, and added freshness to these dessert bars.
The sticky icing is the perfect addition of smooth and silky creaminess to slather on top of these Blonde Lemon Brownies. If you’re a citrus fan, then this is recipe for you!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2-3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (stir, spoon, & level)
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 oz (1 bar) cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1-2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- For the Brownies: Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the lemon zest and juice. Mix until incorporated and scrape bowl.
- Combine the salt and flour. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spread batter into the prepared 13x9-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. The top and edges will be lightly browned.
- For the Icing: In a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the lemon zest, 1 Tbsp of lemon juice, and the powdered sugar. Mix until incorporated. Add up to 1 Tbsp more lemon juice if needed, depending on desired taste/consistency. (Consider adding 1 tsp of extra lemon juice at a time.)
- Spread icing over cooled brownies. Cut and serve. Store Blonde Lemon Brownies at room temperature (72 degrees Fahrenheit) or in the refrigerator, as desired.
*This recipe needs about 3-4 fresh lemons.
*1 lemon = about 1 tsp zest & 2-3 Tbsp juice.