Coconut Sugar Cookie Bars
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
These Coconut Sugar Cookie Bars have lots of delicious coconut flavor from the crust, to the frosting, and the shredded coconut on top. Plus, they are super soft, chewy, and easy to make!
These Coconut Sugar Cookie Bars have been on my mind for a long time! You know those desserts you dream up and can’t wait to make, but then there’s this thing called “life” that gets in the way of your experimental baking in the kitchen? Well, I finally got around to making these coconut sugar cookie bars and they did NOT disappoint!
If you’re a long-time follower, then you know about my passion for coconut. There’s Coconut Cream Fruit Dip, Coconut Cream Poke Cake, No Churn Coconut Ice Cream, Coconut Lime Cupcakes, and Frozen Coconut Limeade on my blog. And that’s just a handful of the coconut recipes I have. Basically, if I can add coconut to it, I will.
The thing I love most about bar desserts like this one, is that they are EASY! I have said it before and I will say it again. I don’t love cut-out sugar cookies. They are so much work! And then frosting them all — kill me now! These coconut sugar cookie bars take care of that problem. I am okay with a “scoop and bake” sugar cookie like these ones, or this chocolate version. I just don’t find joy in rolling and cutting out cookies, over, and over, and OVER!
Anyway, you will love these coconut sugar cookie bars. They have coconut oil and coconut extract in the cookie and frosting. Top it all with real sweetened coconut flakes and you’ve got a soft, sugar cookie bar that’s loaded with coconut flavor! My husband was actually mad I gave most of these away to neighbors. He said he would have eaten the whole tray himself! I will most definitely be making these again!
Coconut Sugar Cookie Bars
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the coconut oil and both sugars. Add the eggs and coconut extract. Mix well. Scrape bowl.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. Spread mixture evenly into a greased 13x9-inch pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 20 minutes until just baked through. (Baking time depends on the type of pan used.) Do not wait for edges/top to brown. Cool completely.
- Make Frosting: In a large bowl, beat the butter and coconut oil until smooth and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar. Mix. Add the remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1 tsp coconut extract, and ¼ cup milk. Spread over cooled bars. Sprinkle with sweetened coconut flakes. Cut into bars, 4 rows by 6 rows (making 24 pieces).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
2 Comments on “Coconut Sugar Cookie Bars”
In the frosting ingredients, you list 1 teaspoon of coconut extract, but in the directions you say 2. How much extract should I use in the frosting? I love coconut, so 2 teaspoons of extract probably won’t bother me. I can’t wait to make this!
Whoops! My bad! Thanks for catching that. It’s supposed to be 1 tsp in the frosting, but I don’t think 2 tsp would be bad, especially if you love coconut. I’ll fix that now.