Coconut Lime Cupcakes (+ Video)
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
These Coconut Lime Cupcakes are the perfect mix of tropical and citrus flavors, with a lime and coconut cupcake base, coconut cream cheese frosting, and toasted coconut on top!
Okay, I waited as long as I possibly could before pulling out the lime desserts on you again this year, but it has begun, so if you like lime as much as I do, get excited! If you don’t…uh, what’s wrong with you?! I kid, I kid!
Now I like my lime desserts super tangy, and unfortunately this one is not, but the coconut makes up for that! There’s coconut milk, lime juice and lime zest in the cupcake base. And the frosting, oh my! It’s my favorite cream cheese frosting with coconut extract! I love coconut almost as much as I love lime!
Since the lime is very light in flavor, my favorite way to eat these is to use that little garnish of lime on top and squeeze it over the frosting, then go to town on that cupcake! I also wait to put the toasted coconut on top until just before eating because it stays crisp that way and adds a great contrast in textures with the light, fluffy cupcake, smooth creamy frosting, and the crispy, sweet coconut!
These cupcakes are pretty and delicious, and with the green wrapper and lime wedge on top, can make a fun “green” St. Patrick’s Day treat!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oil, canola/vegetable
- 2 to 3 tsp lime zest, from 1 medium lime
- 4 Tbsp lime juice, 1 medium lime
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 3/4 cup coconut milk, from a can
Coconut Frosting & Garnishes:
- 8 oz cream cheese, cold (I typically use Neufchatel)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 Tbsp toasted coconut (Toast sweetened coconut flakes in a pan on the stovetop or in the oven, stirring frequently; once it browns it will happen quickly!)
- Lime slices cut into fourths
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in a separate bowl. Then add the oil, lime zest and juice, coconut extract, and coconut milk.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Line a cupcake pan with paper cups and fill each cup ⅔ full.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. (Alternately use a toothpick to test the center of a cupcake.) Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Make frosting by beating the cream cheese with a hand mixer. Add butter 1 Tbsp at a time and beat thoroughly after each addition. Then add the coconut extract and powdered sugar all at once and mix until just combined. Do not over beat frosting once the sugar is added.
- Scoop frosting into a pastry bag that's been fitted with a tip and pipe frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with a wedge of lime and sprinkle of toasted coconut.
*For more lime flavor, squeeze the wedge of lime garnish onto the cupcake just before consuming.
**Wait to add the toasted coconut until just before serving so it stays crisp. The longer it sits on the cupcake, the more it absorbs the moisture from the frosting and will go soft.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Recipe lightly altered from Bird On A Cake
*Video added 1/27/18