Christmas Meltaway Cookies (+ Video)
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Meltaway cookies are a soft, lightly sweet shortbread cookie that literally melts away in your mouth. Top it with a thin glaze and red and green sprinkles for a festive Christmas cookie treat.
These meltaway cookies remind me of when I was working in a bakery about 8 years ago now. We made them a lot for weddings and such. They were actually quite popular and easy to make.
Meltaway cookies are very basic — butter, powdered sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, salt and flour. NO EGGS OR BAKING SODA. The reason being, is that they are a shortbread cookie, not a sugar cookie, even though they look like one.
The cornstarch and powdered sugar make these meltaway cookies literally melt away into a buttery pleasure of sweet powder in your mouth.
The glaze on top adds just enough sweetness to the meltaway cookies to have a complete treat, and the red and green sprinkles are just for fun. These are great cookies for Christmas neighbor gifts!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks or 12 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- red & green sprinkles/nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter with the powdered sugar and cornstarch. Add vanilla. Mix well.
- Combine the salt and flour. Add to the batter. Mix until dough clumps together.
- Scoop cookie dough onto silicone lined baking sheets. Flatten dough balls with the bottom of a measuring cup dipped in powdered sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 to 12 minutes until just set. Do not over-bake.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the glaze adding extra milk 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency. (Keep it slightly thick, a little milk goes a long way.) Spoon on top of cooled cookies.
- Immediately shake sprinkles on top of wet glaze. Allow glaze to harden. Store cookies in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and is an estimation only.