Blonde Orange Brownies are moist and citrusy with fruity cream cheese glaze.
Reader Cathy noticed that I am a fan of citrus. Really? No way…haha. I guess it’s not a secret, I practically shout it from the top of my lungs in every post that includes lemons or limes! So Cathy thought I would like to try this “Orange Brownies” recipe that she has, makes often & loves. I have had it on the back burner for a little while, but I have finally gotten to it & I must say, it’s a wonderful treat!
I googled “Orange Brownies” to see if Cathy got the recipe somewhere online so I could link the recipe to a source & it looks like it is an altered version from Paula Deen. I love Paula Deen! Anyway, I decided to read the reviews from Paula Deen’s recipe. A lot of the readers complained that the brownies were more cake-like, so I further altered it just a tad & I got this moist, dense Blonde Orange Brownie with Cream Cheese Glaze. It’s a fabulous Springtime dessert.
The title “Orange Brownies” is a little deceiving when there is no chocolate in them, so I changed the name in order save myself any angry readers. Anyway, I loved this treat a lot… until I calculated the calories into MyFitnessPal because I am trying to get back to counting & stay on track weight-wise. So, let’s just say if you cut big pieces like me: 1 pan made into 12 LARGE pieces, you should probably cut those in half & savor every bite. Enjoy!
Blonde Orange Brownies
- *This recipe needs 2-3 fresh oranges for juice & zest
Blonde Orange Brownie:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure orange extract (can substitute 2-3 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Orange Cream Glaze:
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar, depending on taste & desired consistency
- Cream butter with sugar. Add eggs, mix well. Add orange extract/juice & zest. Scrape bowl. Add salt & flour, mix until just combined.
- Spread into a greased 13x9x2" pan. Bake at 350*F for 30 minutes; edges & top should be lightly browned.
- Make glaze: Combine cream cheese & butter. Cream until no lumps appear. Add orange zest, orange juice & powdered sugar until desired consistency & taste.
- Pierce the entire sheet of brownies with a fork while still hot. Spread glaze over the top & let cool to room temperature cut & serve. Keep refrigerated if not serving right away.