Orange Creamsicle Cake
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Orange Creamsicle Cake is an easy cake recipe with Jello and pudding. Light and citrusy, this doctored cake mix is way better than made straight from the box. This orange poke cake is the perfect flavor for summer!
Orange is the unsung citrus fruit. We all love a good lemon flavored dessert, but orange desserts are just as good! Things like sweet Orange Rolls, a good Orange Julius recipe, or a creamy Jello salad like Orange Fluff.
Speaking of orange desserts, this orange creamsicle cake is inspired from the good old fashioned popsicle. With sweet orange flavor in the cake and creamy vanilla flavor in the frosting, this easy cake mix recipe is sure to be nostalgic.
INGREDIENTS FOR ORANGE CREAMSICLE CAKE
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this sheet cake:
- White Cake Mix (or Vanilla) + Eggs, Water, and Oil to make the cake
- Orange Gelatin (Jello) + Water to mix it with
- Orange Marmalade
- Instant Vanilla Pudding (NOT cook & serve)
- Whipped Topping (Cool Whip)
- Mandarin Oranges, for decoration
HOW TO MAKE CREAMSICLE CAKE
- Make a 9×13 boxed white cake.
- Poke cake with holes and fill with orange gelatin.
- Spread orange marmalade over the cake.
- Top with a combination of vanilla pudding and whipped topping.
FOR THE POKE CAKE
To make this easy orange poke cake, first you’ll need a boxed cake mix. I used white cake mix, but you could also use vanilla.
You will also need the ingredients called for on the box to make up the cake. Usually eggs (or just egg whites for white cake), water, and oil. Mix and bake for a 9×13-inch pan according to the directions on the box.
FOR THE ORANGE FLAVOR
After baking and cooling, poke holes into the cake about an inch apart with the end of a wooden spoon.
Mix the orange Jello powder with boiling water. Stirring until the mixture is dissolved. Then mix in cold water and let it thicken slightly. Pour the jello mixture into the holes of the cake.
Spread a thin layer of orange marmalade over the cake for extra citrus flavor.
FOR THE FROSTING
For the frosting, whisk together the instant vanilla pudding mix and milk. Then fold in the whipped topping.
Spread frosting over the top of the cake. (If you’d like, you can save about 1/2 cup of frosting to put in a piping bag and swirl on top of each piece like I did.)
REFRIGERATE cake for 4 hours or overnight. Canned Mandarin orange segments on top of each slice is great for decoration and added orange flavor, but is totally optional.
MORE 9X13 CAKE RECIPES
- Coconut Cream Cake Duncan Hines
- Key Lime Poke Cake
- Strawberry Cake with jello
- Black Forest Poke Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Root Beer Poke Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer Cake
- Coconut Lime Cake
- Tres Leches Dessert
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites (or as stated on box of cake mix)
- 1 1/4 cups water (or as stated on box of cake mix)
- 1/2 cup oil (or as stated on box of cake mix)
- 3oz small box orange gelatin (Jello)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 3.4oz small box INSTANT vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 8oz frozen whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip)
- 15oz can Mandarin oranges, drained (optional)
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on the box. (Your exact measurements may vary slightly depending on the brand of cake mix you use. I used Pillsbury.)
- Bake according to package directions. Should be something like 350˚F for 25-35 minutes. Allow cake to cool.
- After cake has cooled, poke holes into the cake about an inch apart with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Mix the orange gelatin powder with boiling water. Stirring until the mixture is dissolved. Then mix in cold water and let it thicken slightly. Pour the jello mixture into the holes of the cake.
- Spread a thin layer of orange marmalade over the cake. NOTE: Keep the tip of the spatula down on the cake while spreading and only lift the tip when finished. If cake is pulling up, you may want to refrigerate it for an hour or two for the Jello to settle into the cake more.
- For the frosting, whisk together the instant vanilla pudding mix and milk. Then fold in the whipped topping. Spread frosting over the top of the cake.*
- Refrigerate cake for 4 hours or overnight. Place Mandarin orange slices on top of each slice of cake, if desired.
- If you'd like, you can save about 1/2 cup of frosting to put in a piping bag and swirl on top of each piece like I did.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and is an estimation only.