Double Chocolate Banana Cake (+ Video)
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Double Chocolate Banana Cake is lightly sweet, moist, and chocolatey. No frosting required!
Boy, oh boy do I have a delicious recipe for you today! I don’t usually bake with my brown bananas because I freeze them to use in smoothies, but this time, I decided to make cake — chocolate cake! This even errs on the side of healthy, plus, it’s so incredibly moist, you don’t need frosting!
So, how is this cake healthy? I said, “it errs on the healthy side.” As in there is no oil, and applesauce helps sweeten it with only 3/4 cup of brown sugar. So it’s more like a lightened up recipe. It’s still a treat. Let’s keep it real here. 😉
Why no frosting? There are semi-sweet chocolate chips on the inside and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips on the outside. When you eat it warm, it’s the best melty-chocolate experience.
Why should I make this? Banana bread is boring, and chocolate makes everything better! Plus, doesn’t it look so yummy? This cake tastes as good as it looks!
How long did this cake last at my house? 2 days. It would have been one if my husband didn’t stop me from eating it. Haha! Okay, overindulging is never a good idea, but I’m just sayin’, this cake is good! It’s eat cake for breakfast good. 🙂
- 3 medium ripe bananas (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips for topping - optional
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the bananas and brown sugar until the bananas are mashed and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the applesauce, vanilla, and egg. Mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pour batter into a greased 8x8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 35 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick to determine doneness. Best eaten warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 4gSugar: 34gProtein: 4g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and is an estimation only.
Recipe added 10/4/15. Also seen on Super Healthy Kids.