Thanksgiving is one of those holidays where a lot of people go all out and make several things from scratch, which is why today, I am sharing my simple homemade cream soup recipe to make your Green Bean Casserole with.
Green bean casserole is one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving dinner, and honestly one of the only ways I like to eat green beans! Haha.
I opted to still use the french fried onions for this recipe, but I will include an option for homemade breaded and baked onion strings. Although I like homemade everything on Thanksgiving, I didn’t want to spend 30 minutes baking onions just for the top of this casserole, but it’s totally up to you. If you are in charge of only bringing this casserole to your family dinner, then by all means, go for the homemade onions!
Is green bean casserole a must have for your Thanksgiving dinner? Here’s my recipe:
NO CREAM SOUP Green Bean Casserole
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans green beans
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 (3 oz) pkg French's French Fried Onions (or Alton Brown has a homemade version)
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk until the mixture becomes fragrant and nutty, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Drain the liquid from the cans of green beans and add them to the cream sauce.
- Pour beans and sauce into a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the top with French fried onions, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, until bubbling in the center and heated through.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.