Savory Pumpkin Twists
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Hi Friends! I’m Mallory from Chocolate With Grace and I am super excited to be a contributor to Dessert Now Dinner Later, and I look forward to sharing some exciting recipes with you over the next couple months. I’m a bit new to blogging, but I have always loved to spend time in the kitchen cooking and creating for my family and friends. Baking is my passion and on my blog you’ll find traditional dessert recipes, along with some creative ideas for everyday ingredients.
Even though the official start of fall was just this week, I have been none to shy about sharing pumpkin recipes on my blog the past few weeks. Pumpkin is one of my favorite ingredients to use and I don’t see why it should be limited to a few months of the year. I’m on the team of “all-things-pumpkin-all-year-round”. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cake, I love it all.
Pumpkin to me is much more versatile than all the classic, sweet desserts we love it in. Today, I am pairing my favorite ingredient with savory flavors. Butter, Italian seasonings and a sprinkling a Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheese make these Savory Pumpkin Twists fantastic. Now, you might be a bit skeptical and hoard that pumpkin for your favorite sweet treat, but let me say these are worth it. My husband loved them and declared them one of the best things to come out of my kitchen.
Pumpkin makes everything it touches soft and moist, and this yeast dough is no exception. The pumpkin takes ordinary dinner roll dough, and with the help of some herbs, cheese and a pretty little twist, transforms them into an elegant addition to any meal. Or, you can just enjoy them as an everyday snack, like me! No need for special occasions.
Savory Pumpkin Twists
For the Dough
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
For the Filling
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- Dissolve yeast in milk in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the honey, butter, salt, pumpkin, and whole wheat flour. Add enough of the all purpose flour until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 4 or 5 minutes until dough is elastic. Cover and set in a warm place and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt the 5 Tablespoons of butter and stir in the Italian Seasoning, Sage and Parmesan.
- Punch down the dough and then roll the dough into an 18 inch x 18 inch square. Spread the melted butter mixture onto the dough. Sprinkle with Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the dough in thirds and cut crosswise into 24 strips. Twist each strip one and a half times. Lay them out on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not overbake.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
If you’re looking for more pumpkin or bread inspiration, check out these recipes.