This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
This Strawberry Cake is lightly sweet, layered with fresh sliced strawberries, and is served with a side of coconut whipped cream. A stunning and delicious dessert for any occasion or Valentine’s Day.
So strawberries are starting to show up on sale in the stores here in Utah, and you know that means I’m going to be creating recipes with them! This strawberry cake is just stunning, if you ask me, and so delicious!
We served this cake with a side of sweetened coconut whipped cream. Have you tried it? Basically you refrigerate a can of unsweetened, full-fat coconut milk and then turn it over, open it up, drain the liquid, and scoop out the cream to sweeten and whip up with a little sugar like you would heavy cream. It’s really good because it tastes like coconut and if you put it on this strawberry cake warm from the oven, it melts and soaks into the cake. MMM-mmm!
I even have a secret tip for making this recipe go super fast and it has to do with slicing the strawberries… You use an egg slicer! You heard right! EGG SLICER! Hopefully you have a semi-sturdy one, but it saves loads of time and then you can shingle the strawberries on the cake however you like.
Anyway, this cake is easy to make, lightly sweet, and perfect for Valentine’s Day! You will love it!
- 1/4 cup oil (vegetable, canola, coconut, etc)
- 1/2 cup milk (any)
- 1 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 lb strawberries (rinsed, hulled, and sliced)
- 1 Tbsp sugar (to sprinkle on top)
- 1 (13.5oz) can FULL FAT Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, vinegar, vanilla, and egg.
- Add the sugar and whisk until dissolved.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, then whisk it into the wet mixture.
- Pour cake batter into a greased 8 or 9-inch round cake pan. Gently layer the strawberries on top of the batter in any pattern you like. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp sugar on top of the strawberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake is baked in the center. Check doneness with a toothpick. Allow cake to cool completely.
- REFRIGERATE the can of coconut milk OVERNIGHT to allow the cream to solidify at the top.
- Turn the can upside down and open from the bottom. Pour the liquid into a cup. Save it for smoothies or another recipe.
- Scoop out the solidified coconut cream and put it in a COLD BOWL. Using a hand mixer, whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until light and airy. It doesn't quite double the way heavy cream does, but it will still get lighter and whipped. Dollop cream on top of or next to a slice of cooled strawberry cake (if you put it on warm cake, it will melt.) Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Recipe added 9/10/15. Also seen on Oh Sweet Basil.