A simple and spicy peppered sausage gravy atop flaky, foolproof buttermilk biscuits, makes a great breakfast or brunch option!
Since I posted about my Foolproof Flaky Biscuits, I’ve had requests for a gravy to go with them, and since my husband’s favorite breakfast (besides eggs benedict) is Biscuits and Gravy, I thought I would take the opportunity to whip some up to share with you all!
This gravy has chunks of spicy sausage and fresh cracked peppercorn in a simple white sauce. It literally took me 30 minutes or less to make the biscuits and gravy together.
We had this for dinner, because we love breakfast for dinner around here, and my son couldn’t have been happier! He loved it, which is something he rarely says about the dinners that I make.
If you’re looking for an easy and hearty savory breakfast, you’ve got to make this! It’s delicious and simple! You can’t beat that!
Biscuits and Gravy
- 1 recipe Foolproof Flaky Biscuits (link in instructions below)
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk (add up to 1 cup more milk if a thinner gravy is desired)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Prepare Foolproof Flaky Biscuits and while they are baking, make the gravy.
- Brown the sausage in a large saucepan, do not drain the fat. Add the flour to the sausage until the fat absorbs it and then let it cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, adding more to taste.
- To serve, break the biscuits in half and pour the gravy over the top. Enjoy!
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Recipe from Ree Drummond via The Food Network and re-written in my own words