Cornbread Waffles with Chili
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
These simple, homemade Cornbread Waffles whip up in minutes and go great served with chili for a quick 15 minute dinner idea!
If there is one meal that screams fall to me, it’s chili. We love to have baked potatoes with chili, sour cream, and cheese for an easy, warm, hearty dinner around here; but this time, we swapped the potatoes out for cornbread waffles!
You know how cornbread and chili goes well together. Well, my friends, this has become our new favorite fall meal. I totally cheated and used canned chili, although you can find our absolute favorite Sassy Steak Chili here on my blog. But talk about easy! Whip up the batter, cook your waffles, and heat up your can of chili for a dinner ready in 15 minutes!
These cornbread waffles are lightly sweet and crisp, yet tender. My kids were happy to eat the chili when it came with a cornbread waffle! You’re going to love this!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cans of your favorite chili
- Whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add the milk, egg, and melted butter. Whisk until just mixed together.
- Heat your waffle maker. I set mine to a 3½ out of 5.
- Spray your waffle maker with some baking spray.
- Pour enough batter to almost fill the mold (about ⅓ to ½ cup depending on the size of your waffle maker); it will puff up and spread as it's baking.
- Cook according to directions for waffle maker; I have to wait until the light goes from red to green on mine. These do brown quicker than regular waffles so keep an eye on them. Repeat with remaining batter; makes approximately 7 standard waffles. Keep on a plate with a towel covering the waffles to keep them warm.
- Serve with heated chili, sour cream, cheese, etc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g