Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake is perfectly moist, full of citrus flavor, and topped with a zesty lemon glaze.
Baking always brings me joy, even amidst the snow and cold that winter seems to be hanging on to. And the most cheerful desserts almost always include lemon (or other citrus fruits) because they wake up your taste buds with their tang! This Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake does just that!
Fluffy, yet moist and fragrant with lemon. This Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake is perfect for spring or Easter!
I’ve found a basic pound cake recipe that I really like and altered it for this recipe. It combines butter, coconut oil, and a good amount of eggs for flavor and moistness. All I had to do was add my citrus components, and some poppy seeds, and you get this Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake.
The cake itself has a light lemon flavor and the glaze on top gives it a pop of lemon, which is what I love! I want to be able to taste that tangy lemon in my mouth.
The only problem I had with this cake was eating too much of it! Haha! I had to plate it up and send it to neighbors so I wasn’t tempted to eat the whole thing.
I also had to hide the lemons for this dessert so my kids wouldn’t eat them first. They are just like their momma when it comes to citrus fruits. They LOVE them! My kids were so glad when they could finally eat this cake. I was torturing them taking “forever” to photograph it first. Haha. Enjoy!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (Stir flour before measuring, then scoop and level each cup carefully. You don't want dense cake.)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or shortening, room temperature
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
- 1 lemon, zested (about 1 1/2 tsp)
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 3 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour a large bundt pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, coconut oil, and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well with each addition.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk to the butter mixture. Starting and ending with dry ingredients, and mixing until just incorporated between each addition. (Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix. Add ½ the milk. Mix. Add another ⅓ of the dry ingredients. Mix. Add the rest of the milk. Mix. Add the rest of the flour. Mix until just incorporated.)
- Mix in lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract, and poppy seeds until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Spread evenly with a spatula. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until a toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a plate and cool completely.
- Make the glaze by whisking the ingredients together to desired consistency, adding more lemon juice to thin, or more powdered sugar to thicken. Pour over cooled cake. Slice and serve. Store cake in an air tight container up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g