Ruby Red Grapefruit Bars
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
I seriously freaked out when I found this recipe. Why in the world had I not thought of this before? Lemon bars, lime bars, GRAPEFRUIT BARS! I LOVE grapefruit! So to me, this was meant to be, like my husband & I are meant to be. Ok, maybe not like that, but I seriously am in love with these bars. I re-wrote the recipe to flow better. I love to find recipes, but I want to make it as simple as possible for everyone to follow along & not miss, or mess up any steps, so hopefully it’s easy to read for all of you. Since these are pink, they are great for Valentine’s treats. Attach a note that says: “Pucker up Valentine!” or whatever clever slogan you can think of.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp grapefruit zest
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice (approximately 1/2 a grapefruit; add up to 1/4 cup more juice for a more tart taste)
- Pink food coloring
- CRUST: Preheat oven to 350*F. In a stand mixer combine ingredients until crumbly. Press on the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish. Bake 15 minutes or until starting to brown lightly.
- FILLING: Prepare filling when crust is just about done: Using the whisk attachment of your stand mixer, whisk the eggs, sugar, baking powder, & flour until light & fluffy. Then add grapefruit juice with zest, & about 3 drops of pink food coloring (or more till desired color) until combined.
- Pour filling over hot crust & bake an additional 20 minutes or until edges are golden. Let cool in the refrigerator. Cut squares, dust tops with powdered sugar & serve. Amazing when eaten cold from the fridge.