So I am not going to lie, I found this recipe because I was trying to get rid of my marshmallows & I wanted to make brownies, but I knew I wanted to do something better than just topping the brownies with mallows & browning them. I loved the texture of the crispy rice cereal in the creamy peanut butter chocolate & the chewy marshmallows. These are seriously decadent too. It’s not often I actually make brownies from scratch, but these will hit that chocolate fix & then some! Since they are so decadent & the recipe makes a lot of brownies, it’s easy to share with friends or neighbors, or to bring to your next gathering.
I have adjusted the directions a bit because my brownies would have had nicer layers had I let the marshmallow cool a bit before I added the crispy peanut butter chocolate layer on top. Since both my marshmallows & chocolate mixture were warm they kind of sunk into each other & made for a more marble-y mess than pretty brownies.
Marshmallow Crunch Brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (I used dark chocolate chips)
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup Jif peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the chocolate, butter, and ¾ cup of the semi-sweet(or dark) chocolate chips on medium heat. Stir occasionally while melting. Set aside and cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the eggs and whisk thoroughly. Add in the sugar and vanilla. Stir the melted ingredients into the egg mixture, mixing well.
- Stir in the dry sifted ingredients and mix well. Fold in the remaining ½ cup semi-sweet(or dark) chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and even with a spatula. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the corner of the pan comes out with moist crumbs.
- Remove the brownies from the oven, and immediately sprinkle the marshmallows over them. Return the pan to the oven for 3 more minutes. Remove from oven & let cool down in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the milk chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat, add the cereal, and mix well. Allow this to cool for 3 minutes or so.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the marshmallow layer. Refrigerate until chilled before cutting.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Recipe from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody