There is something about peanut butter fingers/bars that brings me back to my childhood. You know, the school cafeteria. I didn’t get school lunch often, but if I did, & they had these little bars, I was very excited!
I don’t make these very often at home for just my family because the recipe makes a ton! They are perfect to bring to a large gathering of sorts: family reunions, get-togethers, church activities, etc. Everybody loves these & they are so easy to put together.
I even brought the recipe to work & made these, when I was working in a bakery a couple years back, & it became a regular item we sold out of the bakery from then on out. Everybody loves a good peanut butter bar! Chewy, nutty, chocolatey goodness!
Peanut Butter Fingers
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups peanut butter
- 1 3/4 cups flour (stir well, before measuring)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, very soft
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 4 Tbsp baking cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- For the bars: In a stand mixer, cream butter with sugars until light & fluffy. Add vanilla & eggs & blend. Add 1 cup of peanut butter & mix thoroughly. Scrape bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, oats, baking soda & salt. Slowly add to moist ingredients in mixer. Mix until it just comes together. Make sure to scrape the bottom & mix again. The mixture should be moist, but slightly crumbly.
- Press into a 10x15" jelly-roll pan, can use a rolling pin to even everything out (might need to lightly flour it first.)
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes, just long enough to cook it. Do NOT over-bake or you will dry it out. Let rest 3 minutes.
- While bars are still warm, spread a layer of peanut butter over the top (about 1 cup). Let the peanut butter dry on top; can speed up the process by placing the bars in the fridge.
- Mix frosting: combine butter, vanilla, milk, cocoa, & powdered sugar in a bowl with a hand mixer. Blend until thick, creamy, & smooth. Spread frosting over the top of the peanut butter layer of your bars. Cut bars & serve.