Sometimes I try to find ways to fancy up potatoes for dinner. Potatoes are so cheap, especially when you are on a budget. And we are definitely on a budget because we are buying our first house, so we won’t have as much wiggle room in our current budget until my husband gets his next raise. I came up with this quick skillet dish on a whim & it turned out great. My husband kept looking at me surprised that everything came out so flavorful & hearty.
Mexican Potato Casserole
- 3 small potatoes, scrubbed & diced small
- 3/4 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 white onion, diced small
- 1 bell pepper diced small
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Chipotle Seasoning (or substitute with cayenne pepper starting at 1/8 tsp & adjust to desired heat.)
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (can sub sour cream)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- In a medium pot of water add potatoes & heat until boiling. Boil for 10+ minutes or until just done. (Think potato salad doneness-NOT mushy.) Drain & set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain the fat. Return meat to skillet, add onion & pepper & saute 3 minutes. Add taco mix, chipotle seasoning, tomato sauce, brown sugar, heavy cream & frozen corn. Stir constantly until mixture bubbles. Add potatoes & heat everything through.
- Serve topped with cheese & sour cream, if desired.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.