This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Well, I am back from vacation & ready to get back to blogging. Did you miss me? It was a nice little break & I hope you all enjoyed the recipes that my friends made for you.
Today’s recipe is in preparation for Cinco De Mayo. I know I already posted some Homemade Flour Tortillas & Crockpot Pork Carnitas, but I have a couple more recipes that I want to share. So stay tuned for Thursday’s post as well, because it is one of my families most favorite recipes!
This Horchata is just lovely. I don’t know what it is about cinnamon flavored rice milk, but I guzzle it up every time! When we go to Costa Vida, one of my favorite places to eat out, I ALWAYS get the Horchata even though it’s not the real deal; probably just a powder mixed with water. But, if I have the chance to go to a Taqueria or authentic place, I always share a large cup of Horchata with my husband. It’s so refreshing & fairly simple to make at home, but I would double this recipe because it makes about 1 quart & my kids love this drink too, so it did not last very long. Enjoy!
- 1 cup long grain white rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, plus 2-3 Tbsp to taste
- 1 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Wash and drain rice. Combine rice with cinnamon sticks in water and soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- After the rice has soaked for at least 8-10 hours, preferably overnight, discard the cinnamon sticks and pour rice and water into a blender. Add ½ tsp cinnamon and blend on low for 2-3 minutes until well blended. Pour blended rice mixture through fine mesh sieve two times and then through cheesecloth one more time to remove all gritty bits of rice.
- Pour strained mixture into a pitcher, add skim milk, brown sugar and vanilla and stir well to combine. Add more sugar if needed, to taste. Best served with ice & a dash of ground cinnamon.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g