Queso Dip + Video
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
This Queso Dip is classic! Make it mild or hot, chunky or smooth. It’s extremely versatile and made with simple ingredients. No Velveeta! A tasty appetizer or snack for game day or any party gathering!
I’m totally obsessed with tortilla chips and dip. Salsa, guacamole, queso, etc. It’s all good to me! There is a restaurant where I live that serves the BEST queso. It’s smooth and has a good heat to it. This is my variation of that queso dip, but slightly more chunky.
The awesome thing about this queso dip is that you can alter it to your personal tastes. Don’t like it chunky, use less tomatoes and onions. Want more heat, leave the seeds in the jalapeños. Want it thinner? Use more half and half. It’s a good classic Tex-Mex version of chile con queso.
My husband had just gotten his wisdom teeth out when I made this, so it was all mine! Haha. I didn’t have to share! My kids are crazy and don’t like queso, but it’s all good. More for me!
You will love how easy this is to make (just watch the video), and it doesn’t use Velveeta! (Yay!) Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp oil (vegetable/canola)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2-3/4 cup)
- 2 medium jalapeños, diced (remove some or all seeds for less heat)
- 8 oz yellow American cheese, sliced from the deli, then cut into cubes
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (use Pepper Jack cheese for a spicier queso)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups half & half (depending on desired consistency)
- 1 to 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced (depending on how chunky you want the queso to be)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Optional: chili powder + cayenne pepper, to taste (for more heat)
- In a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil, onion, and peppers. Sauté for 5-10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Reduce heat to low. Add both cheeses. Gradually add the half & half. Stir until smooth, adding half & half until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cilantro. Stir and season to taste with chili powder and cayenne, if needed. Serve the hot dip right away with your choice of tortilla chips.
-Pre-shredded cheeses have an anti-caking ingredient on them so the cheese doesn't stick together, which makes it not melt as nicely. I highly recommend shredding the cheese by hand.
*Recipe lightly altered from Delighful E Made
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g