Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
I am pretty sure most people have a variation of this soup up their sleeves, or I guess in their recipe stash, but this soup has got to be shared with the whole world. It’s sinful, I won’t lie, but that’s what makes it so, so good!
Growing up, when my mom cooked bacon, she would save the bacon fat in the fridge & we would use it to cook our eggs in anytime we had egg sandwiches for breakfast. Those were the BEST egg sandwiches EVER.
This soup has the same concept. You render down the fat off of the bacon, making the bacon nice & crisp. Then use some of the fat to cook your onion & garlic in, cook it down a little bit, add flour & form a roux, then add your broth & potatoes to simmer slowly. Finish it off with some half & half, cheese & green onions.
Those flavors have plenty of time to marry together well to make a chunky potato, meaty bacon, cheesy, creamy soup. Heaven in a bowl I say. Make this TODAY!!!
- 1 (12oz) package of bacon (about 10 strips)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 small russet potatoes, peeled & cut into half-inch cubes
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- In a large stock pot, either dice the bacon & cook it, or cook it in strips & dice it; drain off the fat & SAVE IT. Let bacon rest on a paper towel.
- Using 4 TBSP of the bacon fat, saute the onion & garlic for 5-10 minutes or until translucent. Add the flour to form a roux. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth & russet potatoes. Allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add half & half, cheddar cheese, green onions, half of the bacon bits & season with salt & pepper to taste. Allow to simmer an additional 5 minutes to heat through.
- Serve soup topped with extra bacon, cheese, & green onions. Savor every bite 🙂
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g