Skillet Chicken & Dumplings
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
There is just something about homestyle dishes like this one that makes me hungry! One pot meals & casseroles have got it going on! Everything you need in one place, ready to warm your belly.
I have never actually made a skillet dish like this before, where you cook the biscuit on top of the mixture on the stovetop instead of in the oven. This dinner is a lot like my Chicken Pot Pie Crumble, but with that soft biscuit dumpling on top & slightly different flavors.
I was all nervous about the biscuit cooking all the way through, but it did just fine! I do like the addition of the cream cheese & green onions in this one too. It’s a fall meal that is simple & delicious! Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (14oz) can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 oz neufchatel cream cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 (16oz) package frozen peas & carrots
- 1 cup all-purpose baking mix (Bisquick)
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup (2%) milk
- 2 Tbsp grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken, salt, pepper, onion powder, & garlic. Cook & stir 4 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink. Transfer to bowl.
- Add broth gradually to flour in small bowl, whisking constantly until blended. Add to skillet; cook & stir on medium heat 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cream cheese & green onions. Cook & stir 3 minutes or until melted. Stir in chicken & frozen vegetables. Heat to a light simmer.
- Stir baking mix, sour cream & milk just until baking mix is moistened. Spoon into 6 or 7 mounds over the mixture in the skillet. Cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Cover skillet & cook on low for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean. Top with parmesan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g