If anyone is still doing their healthy New Year’s resolutions, you can make this chili & thank me later. It’s full of beautiful bell peppers, onions, & tomatoes. Combine that with lean ground turkey & you get a vibrant, healthy, delicious & filling meal. One cup is only 109 calories (according to my recipe input into MyFitnessPal)! And thanks to WinCo, the peppers were $0.49 each, which makes this meal pretty, low-cal & inexpensive to make. Win-win-win!
This might even be a great choice to serve while watching the Super Bowl instead of fatty dips, spreads, or greasy wings. This chili is mild with a hint of heat. Oh, & did I mention it goes in the slow cooker? Perfect with cornbread too!
Hearty Turkey & Vegetable Chili
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 each: yellow, red, & green bell peppers; diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16oz) jar Pace Picante Sauce (mild)
- 1 (14.5oz) can petite diced tomatoes (NOT drained)
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 (15oz) cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Brown ground turkey in a large, non-stick saute pan, breaking up into pieces. Once cooked, empty into a 6-QT crock pot.
- Using the same saute pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil & add diced peppers, onion, & minced garlic. Saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently, & add to the crock pot.
- Add the picante sauce, whole can of diced tomatoes, & the drained diced green chiles, & pinto beans to the crock pot. Add the chicken broth & seasonings. Stir & cover with lid.
- Slow cook for 4 hours. Stir & adjust seasonings, if desired. May serve with sour cream & shredded cheese.